Friday 23 May 2014

Fail to Plan --- Plan to Fail

'Fail to Plan -- Plan to Fail' is an itinerary planner to help you organise days when you have lots of little chores, or, it you want to see how long a process you have planned actually takes (Pi*thumb^procrastination).  It's quite useful for getting an idea of where your day goes.

The 'Help' drop down on the top far right has a tutorial to help you get started.

Some things to know about this little tool:

1) I didn't add a timer because I didn't want a nagplication.  Also, if you're in the garden, you won't hear your computer beep.

2) The 'now' button recalculates your day's plan to start 'now', if things take longer than planned.   I also find it useful to move a task to the end that I decide to do later.

3) Visually it's a bit of a jumble initially, but once you have practice (and worked through the tutorial)  it's actually not as bad as it looks.  I will try to fix this in later iterations.

4) The curry recipe is quite good -- it only looks that huge because I broke the process down into individual steps, it's actually not that difficult to cook ;-)

5)  I wrote this in raw javascript because it's hosted on Blogger for now, so, the drop down menus have been hand coded (I know... :) and... look accordingly.   I will try to move it to a saner space, where I have handy tools like JQuery available.

6) I'm no javascript/html champion, this started out as a little hack for fun and grew into something bigger than I estimated.  Advice/bug reports/collaborators are very welcome, mail me please. I have some more plans for this toy, for example, I'd like to be able to insert groups of tasks -- say, if you want to do the laundry, that consists of the tasks washing, hanging, drying & folding --- being able to drop those tasks in as a group would save a lot of typing.

7) Cookies in HTML 4 are limited in size, so don't go crazy with too many entries/files :-D

Enjoy!